[Biopython-dev] Release plans for Biopython 1.55 (beta)?

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Aug 16 13:48:25 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Brad Chapman <chapmanb at 50mail.com> wrote:
> Peter;
>
>> I'm aware that in the course of the Python 3 work so far, we've touched
>> quite a lot of the code - and some areas are still not fully covered by the
>> unit tests. With that in mind, I think a beta release would be a prudent
>> thing to do - primarily in the hope of end users spotting any issues which
>> the unit tests have not revealed.
>
> How is the Python 3 stuff looking? Perception wise, it would be nice to be
> able to make a release with a statement like: All of the non-C
> extension code works on Python 3 using 2to3. Are we at all close to
> something like that?
>
> Otherwise, your other plans all sound good.
> Brad

Hi Brad,

I think it is still premature to make any claims about Python 3 support
(even though ignoring the C and NumPy code most stuff works).
Issues like binary versus text mode for handles (bytes vs unicode) and
the associated speed issues are something in particular which will need
some thought (and benchmarks to guide us).

See also:
http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/biopython-dev/2010-August/008143.html
http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/biopython-dev/2010-July/008011.html
http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/biopython-dev/2010-August/008159.html