[Biopython-dev] Release plans for Biopython 1.55 (beta)?

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Aug 13 18:18:04 UTC 2010

Hi all,

We've probably clocked up enough bug fixes and additions to justify a
new release (even though there are still things waiting which look close
to being ready, e.g. uniprot-xml and imgt parsing). Alternatively, should
we delay while we work to get some more of the new stuff tested and
merged?

Regarding Python 2.7 support, it all looks fine. However, for the Windows
installers we are waiting on an official NumPy installer for Python 2.7
(i.e. NumPy 1.5 which is due shortly I understand).

I'm aware that in the course of the Python 3 work so far, we've touched
quite a lot of the code - and some areas are still not fully covered by the
unit tests. With that in mind, I think a beta release would be a prudent
thing to do - primarily in the hope of end users spotting any issues which
the unit tests have not revealed.

Does doing a beta release some time next week sound like a good plan,
with the official release say a week or two later? Are there any blocker
issues we should be addressing first?

e.g. test_NCBI_BLAST_tools.py fails with the latest BLAST+, we
need to update the application wrappers as the NCBI have changed
a few of the switches.

Regards,