[Biopython-dev] Biopython devs at iEvoBio?

Nick Matzke matzke at berkeley.edu
Thu Apr 15 08:35:59 UTC 2010

Hi all,

Thanks for the invite David, I just registered for a
lightning talk at the iEvoBio conference site:

==========
Lightning Talk: Biopython (bio) Geography Module

Nicholas J. Matzke
matzke at berkeley.edu
Department of Integrative Biology
University of California, Berkeley

Abstract: For Google Summer of Code 2009/NESCENT
Phyloinformatics Summer of Code 2009, I built a Geography
module for Biopython.  The purpose of the module is to
search, download, and process biogeographical data from
GBIF, much as Biopython currently accesses Genbank.
Application of the tool to a historical biogeography study
on bivalves will be illustrated.
==========

See everyone there! PS I have family in Portland and used to
work there so if anyone needs bar suggestions I might be
able to help...

Cheers,
Nick

david winter wrote:
> Ok,
>
> So Nick will be there, Eric hopes not to be ;)
>
> I sent an email to the organizsng committee about different the talk
> categories. Based on their reply, and the fact that both Nick and I are
> going to be focused on our talks at the Evolution Meetings (ie, flying
> halfway around the world to present a 12min talk) it seems the best way
> to go would be have a lightening talk on each of the GSoC projects.
>
> Eric, presuming you go to BOSC and not iEvoBio I'll get in touch with
> you at some stage with an outline of a talk and you can help me whip it
> into shape.
>
> Cheers,
> David
>
> On 4/7/2010 12:46 PM, Nick Matzke wrote:
>> I'll be at the Evo meeting and the iEvoBio meeting.  I'd be happy to
>> give a talk as long as it's short -- I have to prioritize my research
>> talk at the main meeting!
>>
>> Cheers!
>> Nick
>>

>> David Winter wrote:
>>> Hi again guys,
>>>
>>> I was wondering if anyone else is planning to go to iEvoBio
>>> (http://ievobio.org/) in Portland in June..

Nicholas J. Matzke
Ph.D. Candidate, Graduate Student Researcher
Huelsenbeck Lab
Center for Theoretical Evolutionary Genomics
4151 VLSB (Valley Life Sciences Building)
Department of Integrative Biology
University of California, Berkeley

Graduate Student Instructor, IB200A
Principles of Phylogenetics: Systematics
http://ib.berkeley.edu/courses/ib200a/index.shtml

Lab websites:
http://ib.berkeley.edu/people/lab_detail.php?lab=54
http://fisher.berkeley.edu/cteg/hlab.html
Dept. personal page:
http://ib.berkeley.edu/people/students/person_detail.php?person=370
Lab personal page:
http://fisher.berkeley.edu/cteg/members/matzke.html
Lab phone: 510-643-6299
Dept. fax: 510-643-6264
Cell phone: 510-301-0179
Email: matzke at berkeley.edu

Mailing address:
Department of Integrative Biology
3060 VLSB #3140
Berkeley, CA 94720-3140

"[W]hen people thought the earth was flat, they were wrong.
When people thought the earth was spherical, they were
wrong. But if you think that thinking the earth is spherical
is just as wrong as thinking the earth is flat, then your
view is wronger than both of them put together."

Isaac Asimov (1989). "The Relativity of Wrong." The
Skeptical Inquirer, 14(1), 35-44. Fall 1989.
http://chem.tufts.edu/AnswersInScience/RelativityofWrong.htm