[Biopython-dev] Draft Announcement for Biopython 1.54

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Apr 6 06:29:24 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 2:51 AM, David Winter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Here's a draft announcement for the next release, very happy to take
> corrections and suggestions on how to change it. I'll put a marked up
> version of this on the OBF server soon.
>
> Cheers,
> David

Lovely :)

I spotted one small thing to correct:

> Biopython now supports the reading, writing and indexing of Standard
> Flowgram Format (SFF) files produced in 454 sequencing. Jose Blanca
> (the brains behind the widely used sff_extract tool) has extended Bio.SeqIO
> to handle these files, making it possible to convert between SFF, FASTQ,
> FASTA and QUAL formats (as trimmed or untrimmed reads).

The new SFF support was based on code donated from Jose Blanc, but he
didn't actually do the SeqIO integration (or the indexing) - that was me.
Also we can only convert from SFF to any of FASTQ, FASTA and QUAL
formats. Going to SFF isn't possible because it requires the flow space
data from the instrument which isn't present.

Thanks David,