[Biopython-dev] Committing to github...

Eric Talevich eric.talevich at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 20:47:38 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Peter <biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk>wrote:

> Does it matter? No. But we can reduce the likelihood of these
> baby branches and merges by getting into the habit of pulling
> the latest code from github *before* making any local commits
> (a sensible thing to do anyway).

If you've committed local changes while your repository is out of date and
want to avoid a baby branch, you can also use "git rebase origin/master" to
fix the history. (But probably, most developers will find it easier and
safer to leave the baby branches there.)

Extended example:

git checkout dev     # a development branch
# hack hack
git commit -a          # oops, we're out of sync
git checkout master    # a clean copy of upstream
git pull origin master      # updating like we should have earlier
git rebase master dev
git merge dev
# Should be fast-forward
git push