[Biopython-dev] Code review request for phyloxml branch

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Fri Sep 25 20:58:36 UTC 2009

On Sep 25, 2009, at 11:28 AM, Jaime Huerta Cepas wrote:

> As far as I know, the main difference between GPL and BSD-like
> licenses is that, with the second, you could relicense the code at
> any moment under any other policy, including private and close
> licenses.

This is not true. None of the open-source licenses that I'm aware of
allows anyone to relicense code under a license that is less liberal,
or to relicense code at all. It is the copyright owner who can
relicense code, not the distributor.

One of the differences between GPL and BSD is that GPL is viral.
Specifically, code that links to GPL-licensed code must also be GPL-
licensed *when it is distributed.*

(It is a common misconception that GPL is unconditionally viral. I can
take GPL code and link to it and keep my code closed source for as
long as I please if I never redistribute it. GPL was written with
software vendors in mind, whose business consists of distributing
software for commercial gain. GPL has therefore sometimes been called
anti-commercial. This is wrong, too, but I won't go into the details
here.)

Biopython can freely utilize GPL-licensed (or closed source, for that
matter) software if it doesn't link to it. IANAL but I think it can
also redistribute GPL-licensed code along with Biopython so long as
Biopython doesn't link to it, and it is made clear that some of the
distribution falls under a different license than BSD. (Linux
distributions mix BSD and GPL software, too.)

As for ETE itself, a BSD/MIT style license seems to be the by far most
widely used license for Python modules. If you want to facilitate
adoption of the software as a library by other programmers, GPL is
going to stand in the way of that. Also, really all that you are
accomplishing with GPL is that a software company can't take advantage
of ETE. Is that your chief concern? GPL won't prevent any scientific
lab from writing closed source code that builds on ETE and publishing
the results, so long as they don't distribute their closed source code.

	-hilmar