[Biopython-dev] Code review request for phyloxml branch

Jaime Huerta Cepas jhuerta at crg.es
Fri Sep 25 16:13:44 UTC 2009

Hi,

> Just working on bindings would certainly be easier. The best way to
> transfer tree information from Biopython to ETE would be serializing the
> trees in phyloXML format (to preserve the annotations) and loading that file
> in ETE. I see that ETE allows rich annotation of tree objects, but I don't
> see phyloXML or NeXML listed as supported file formats -- is there another
> standard format you're using to store this information?

Extended newick (http://www.phylosoft.org/NHX/) is the only rich format
currently supported by ETE, however only text string representation of tree
node annotations are allowed by this standard. Beyond this, you should use a
cpickle approach to save complex annotated trees. I'm certainly interested
in PhyloXML and NexML support, so, for sure, this could be a nice starting
point.

If not, I think ETE would benefit from a phyloXML parser. Since Biopython
> license is GPL-compatible (I believe), you could borrow
> Bio.TreeIO.PhyloXMLIO directly and just port the Phylogeny and Clade classes
> to ETE's base classes instead of Bio.Tree.BaseTree's Tree and Node classes.

I think there is no problem in using BSD license from GPL sources, the
problem would be in the other way around. Then I will take a look at your
phyloxml code to find the best way to bind both packages through phyloXML
serialization.

> Beyond that, some support for BioSQL to store sequences etc. would also
> help link ETE to any of the other Bio* projects. There's some example code
> in Biopython's top-level BioSQL directory, if you're interested.

Ok. I'll take a look also. Thanks.

cheers,
Jaime.

--