[Biopython-dev] Committing to github...

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Sep 24 11:39:59 UTC 2009

Hi all,

My last couple of commits to github have been from a local clone of
the *official*
repository: http://github.com/biopython/biopython/

This is a nice and simple work flow for small changes, and the history
and github
network graph are easy to understand:
http://biopython.org/wiki/GitUsage#Commiting_changes_to_main_branch

This seems like the easiest way to work for people used to CVS, and you don't
need to bother with your own Biopython cloned repository on github (you just
need a github account and collaborator status). I'll probably continue
to do this
in the short term.

--

However, prior to that I did a couple of commits via a local clone of
*my* personal

I had kept the master branch on *my* repository identical to the
official master.
However, while I was only pushing a tiny change, git did this as a
merge - resulting
in a flurry of RSS entries and a complicated looking git network
diagram. I think it
is probably just down to the way we've been using the repositories during the
migration? With this backlog of merges done, I expect future commits by this
route will look much cleaner...