[Biopython-dev] draft release announcement

Tiago Antão tiagoantao at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 07:23:24 UTC 2009

Something along the lines of:

The Population Genetics module now allows the calculation of several
tests, and statistical estimators via a wrapper to GenePop. Supported
are tests for Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium, linkage disequilibrium and
estimates for various F statistics (Cockerham and Wier Fst and Fis,
Robertson and Hill Fis, ...), null allele frequencies and number of
migrants among many others. Isolation By Distance (IBD) functionality
is also supported.

I suppose the changes to PopGen are the biggest going on this
Biopython version and probably one of the highlights. I should update
the documentation ASAP.

I intend to announce this version to some population genetics and
evolutionary biology communities (something I have never done in the
past)

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 6:45 AM, David Winter
<winda002 at student.otago.ac.nz> wrote:
> Tiago Antão wrote:
>>
>> There is a big update to the PopGen module, which is now able to do
>> frequentist statistics and tests through GenePop. I can draft one
>> paragraph about the subject. I would imagine it is one of the biggest
>> changes and probably the one that adds most functionality.
>>

> Cool, I see now that I should've read the original thread about the new
> release more closely
>
> A paragraph from you on your PopGen code would be really helpful.
>
> Cheers,
> David

" It always takes ideology to consummate massive error." - Ambrose
Evans-Pritchard