[Biopython-dev] draft release announcement

Tiago Antão tiagoantao at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 05:17:39 UTC 2009

There is a big update to the PopGen module, which is now able to do
frequentist statistics and tests through GenePop. I can draft one
paragraph about the subject. I would imagine it is one of the biggest
changes and probably the one that adds most functionality.

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 6:13 AM, David Winter
<winda002 at student.otago.ac.nz> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> A draft release announcement for 1.52 for you to look at and comment on.
> This is written with the idea that there will be a blog post describing the
> convert and indexed_dict() methods for SeqIO which can be linked to so the
> announcement itself is pretty brief.
>
> I didn't mention the movement from CVS to git in the announcement which
> might be something worth adding?
>
> +++
> We are pleased to announce the availability of Biopython 1.52, a new stable
> release of the Biopython library.
>
> It may only have been one month since the last release but in that time
> we've added enough useful features to warrant a new release. Biopython 1.52
> will be of particular interest to people using next generation sequencing -
> new functions added to the AlignIO and SeqIO tools speed up the way very
> large sequence files can be dealt with and you can now write phd files like
> those created by  Phred and used in 454 sequencing.
>
> SeqIO and AlignIO both now have a helper function called convert() that
> allows for simple, optimized conversion between file formats while SeqIO
> gets a new method called indexed_dict() which allows random access to
> sequences in a file without reading every record in that file into memory.
>
> The new release also adds command line wrappers for the EMBOSS versions of
> the phylip phylogeny programs and squashes a few minor bugs reported since
> 1.51 was released.
>
> Sources and a Windows Installer are available from the downloads page.
>
> Thanks to the Biopython development team and to everyone who has reported
> bugs since our last release
>
> ++++

" It always takes ideology to consummate massive error." - Ambrose
Evans-Pritchard