[Biopython-dev] [Biopython] Subclassing Seq and SeqRecord

Jose Blanca jblanca at btc.upv.es
Wed Nov 25 08:31:53 UTC 2009

> The point is while your proposed change will make some tasks
> easier (e.g. writing an extended Seq subclass that adds a new
> method or changes an existing method), it will make other tasks
> much harder (e.g. the DBSeq class).

That's a fair point. You're right in either case some methods would have to be
reimplemented.
I don't know if the current situation is the most convenient because the
actual implementations have a mixed behaviour. Some methods like the Seq's
__add__ use __class__ and some others like __getitem__ use Seq(). Is there a
reason for that?
Regards,

--
Jose M. Blanca Postigo
Instituto Universitario de Conservacion y