[Biopython-dev] Updating http://biopython.open-bio.org/SRC/biopython/

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Nov 17 12:16:38 UTC 2009

Dear all,

Back when Biopython used CVS, we had an hourly checkout of
the code published here:
http://www.biopython.org/SRC/biopython/
http://biopython.open-bio.org/SRC/biopython/

I did ask how this was setup (which username etc) but no one got
back to me. In any case, this can now be turned off - along with
making the Biopython CVS read only (OBF support call #857).

I've managed to get this working again from the github repository,
although the route isn't ideal (and is all running under my username):

(1) At quarter past the hour, a cron job on dev.open-bio.org does
a "git pull" to update a local copy of the repository to that on github.
This doesn't need any passwords.

(2) At 25mins past the hour, a cron job on www.biopython.org does
an rsync to get a copy of the repository from dev.open-bio.org (using
an SSH key for access).

I tried having a single job running on dev.open-bio.org to push the
files to www.biopython.org but the host policies seem to block that.

It would be simpler to have everything done on www.biopython.org,
which would require git to be installed on that machine. This would
avoid any SSH security problems. Does that seem like a better idea?

Thanks,