[Biopython-dev] [Biopython] Using SeqLocation to extract subsequence

Kyle Ellrott kellrott at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 17:23:27 UTC 2009

> def FeatureDescGuess( feature ):
>   desc = ""
>   try:
>       desc=feature.qualifiers['product'][0]
>   except KeyError:
>       pass
>   return desc
>
> Could be just:
>
> def FeatureDescGuess( feature ):
>   return feature.qualifiers.get('product', [""])[0]
>
> and therefore doesn't really need an entire function.

That could attempt to get the first element of a None type, if the 'product'
qualifier doesn't exist.
Actually, I wrote it that way so it could be extended.  First it would try
'product' and if that didn't exist replace it with something like a
'db_xref' or a 'note' entry.  I was hoping to get some input on what people
think would be 'order of importance' of things to try.

Kyle