[Biopython-dev] history on github - where are the tags?

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Sat May 16 20:35:36 UTC 2009

On 5/16/09, Bartek Wilczynski <bartek at rezolwenta.eu.org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 8:57 PM, Peter <biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>  >
>  > I'm not happy with the current github repository due to the history
>  > tag issue - but we know we can fix that now.  Are you going to try
>  > removing the old tags and re-doing them on github?
>
>  I've finally found some time for it and fixed the tags in the main repository.

Great :)

>  I was able to run the update and it ran ok,  I was also able to clone the repo
>  from the official branch and see that they are OK in gitx. If anyone
>  has problems with the tags, please let me know.

I'll check with my Mac on Monday.

>  > Does anyone know how the git provided "ViewCVS" equivalent shows
>  > tags in a file's history?
>
> If you are talking about gitweb, you can see it (for example: Makefile
> for linux 2.6.17) here:
>
>  http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/chrisw/linux-2.6.17.y.git;a=history;f=Makefile;h=79072d86297e78406791f0fc5764c35eb04fd07d;hb=78ace17e51d4968ed2355e8f708d233d1cc37f6d
>
>  I've also installed gitweb on a copy of biopython repo on my server
>  (not a permanent URL, not updated from trunk)
>  http://83.243.39.60/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=biopython.git;a=tree;hb=HEAD
>
>  It shows the tags, but (as usually with git), the tags are only shown
>  for the files which were affected by the particular commit marked with
>  the tag. So this behavior is consistent with kernel.org and github.

Thanks for those examples.

I see what you mean, looking at Bio/Blast/NCBIXML.py in gitweb for
example, no tags show up at all.  On the other hand, for the NEWS
file, some tags show up.  Basically for what I want to use the tags
for (identifying changes to a single file between two releases),
gitweb doesn't work.  Nor does github's history. This is a shame.

I think the reason CVS (or SVN) seem to work better in this regard is
like python they care about individual files, while git works in terms
of changes (which may affect multiple files).

I'll see how I get on with the command line or graphical git history
viewers and get back to you...

Cheers,