[Biopython-dev] Biopython on Twitter

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Mar 29 22:58:47 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 2:06 AM, Brad Chapman <chapmanb at 50mail.com> wrote:
> Hi all;
> It is great we are exploring getting news out about Biopython in
> additional ways. One thing this can really help with is recognizing
> contributions to Biopython. Another is pointing out interesting
> discussion threads on the mailing lists and getting others involved.

Do you think the recent release notes and NEWS file entries have been
a bit too impersonal?  We can certainly be a bit more explicit if people
that is a good thing. For example, should we mention Bartek by name
in the paragraph on the new Bio.Motif module?

This is linked to from the wiki's news page BTW:
http://biopython.open-bio.org/SRC/biopython/NEWS
http://cvs.biopython.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi/biopython/NEWS?cvsroot=biopython

> Do you think it would be worthwhile to "advertise" on the main list
> for someone interested in coordinating news and communication?
> ... Perhaps there are members who are interested in Biopython and
> follow what is going on but aren't coders. This would be a way to
> get involved, ...

Are you up for the job yourself Brad?  From your own blog we know
you can and do write regularly anyway ;)   Would you like an account
on the OBF news server? Email me off list and we can sort that out.

In terms of micro-blogging via twitter, you sound like you have a better
feel for this than me - I don't even have a personal twitter account.

Monthly news posts (perhaps cc'd to the announcement email list)
would be a nice idea - especially if we can encourage more lurkers
to speak up.  For a while BioPerl had something like this going
(digest emails or something), but it needs a pretty dedicated person
or team.  In the meantime as you've noticed I've started making
more use of our news facility myself...