[Biopython-dev] biopython on github

Brad Chapman chapmanb at 50mail.com
Thu Mar 26 12:57:07 UTC 2009

Hi all;

Bartek:
> Continuing on that topic. I think there are three (more or less
> separate) issues here:
> 1) Describing git usage technically, to make sure all developers have
> a smooth transition to git from CVS
> 2) Describing typical ways to use git in biopython.
[...]
> 3) General contributing guide with coding style and testing framework etc.
>
> I think that point 3 is quite well separated from the other two
> points, which are more git related. I think it is also nicely handled
> by the current wiki page: http://biopython.org/wiki/Contributing.
[...]
> Points 1 and 2 are not so easily separable, but I don't think it's a
> major problem. Current version of the
> http://biopython.org/wiki/GitMigration
>  touches upon them, but it is meant as a temporary info, so it does
> not describe how things should be done after we really make the
> switch. I think we need to spearate these issues (temporary
> arrangements vs. final desired procedures), so I made a new wiki page:
>  http://biopython.org/wiki/GitUsage
> which is meant as an early draft of such guidelines. This page is
> meant to serve as a technical tutorial describing typical tasks in
> biopython development.

Great writeup, and I agree with you on everything up until the last
point. Why do we need two pages with overlapping information? This
means we have to do more work to keep them in sync and creates confusion.
GitMigration is/was our documentation page. If it is the name that
makes it seem temporary, we should kill GitMigration and re-route all
wiki links to GitUsage. Then we can continue forward with getting
the documentation up to par on GitUsage.

Having the disclaimer that the page and migration is in process is
enough of a warning. When we move to git permanently, we can just
remove the warnings, update the final links and we will be done.

Brad