[Biopython-dev] biopython on github

Tue Mar 17 19:34:11 UTC 2009

On Mar 17, 2009, at 3:27 PM, Tiago Antão wrote:
>> I think somewhere around B, the person wanting to commit new code
>> would have
>> to rebase[1] their branch against the official "stabilizer
>> branch" (that
>
> So, if I understand well, anyone wanting to submit a change to the
> official version would be responsible for rebasing, right?

And if I understand it well, then I think you're right.

I think that's a reasonable policy. That puts the responsibility to
ensure that any new code I write works with whatever has been approved
already on me, and not you.

While this may require a bit extra responsibility on the committer,
I'd be surprised if it would be enough to deter any new would-be
committers from taking a shot at contributing code (maybe it would? I
guess it's debatable).

> PS - being a git noob and a longtime cvs/svn user and manager I much
> appreciated Randal Schwartz google talk at:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dhZ9BXQgc4 Especially aroung 30
> minutes it is really informative.

Sweet.

To be honest, the only video I ever saw of git was Linus' SVN-bash
google talk, which somehow put me off from considering git longer than
I should have, so this is a good link to have :-)

Thanks,
-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou
Graduate Student: Physiology, Biophysics and Systems Biology

http://cbio.mskcc.org/~lianos