[Biopython-dev] biopython on github

Tue Mar 17 19:21:57 UTC 2009

Hi,

I really just loom around here, but a slight correction/point:

> A. People would have all the fun on their development branches
> B. When they felt confident they would submit their code to the
> stabilizer branch, where we would check that all the important things
> were there: unit test, code comments, QA, documentation
> C. When things were in good shape, we would propose changes to the
> official branch

I'm very much a git noob, and from having been following this thread a
bit, it seems that many of us are, so for the noobs:

I think somewhere around B, the person wanting to commit new code
would have to rebase[1] their branch against the official "stabilizer
branch" (that they had originally forked from). This would put the
onus of fixing any breaks and keeping track of recent developments on
the branch you propose to merge into (since you originally branched),
on the person who is writing the new code.

This makes it easier for the "official keepers of the one true branch"
to accept new patches, since they know the patch will work on the
latest version.

Anyway, I think I just wanted to point out that rebase was there since
I don't think there's anything really equivalent in the CVS/SVN world.

-steve

[1] rebase : http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-rebase.html