[Biopython-dev] history on github - where are the tags?

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Mar 17 09:06:31 UTC 2009

Hi Bartek et al,

I've just been looking over the github mirror of CVS, and wanted to
see it presented the history of individual files.  For example, this
page looks at the Bio/SeqRecord.py history using ViewCVS:
http://cvs.biopython.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi/biopython/Bio/SeqRecord.py?cvsroot=biopython

For comparison, in GitHub,
http://github.com/biopython/biopython/commits/master/Bio/SeqRecord.py

As you can see, all the comments and changes are there - which is
great.  But I can't see the CVS tag information, which I assume would
be converting into git tags.  Is this information present in the git
repository, but not shown by github, or was it lost during the
migration?  This might seem like a little thing, but I have found it
incredibly important for tracing bugs reported in older releases, for
example in narrowing down when something changed.