[Biopython-dev] Installation documentation

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Jun 10 09:11:46 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 5:43 PM, Peter<biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> Using the packages from your Linux distribution is probably the
> easiest and most reliable way to get Biopython on Linux - but
> these are inevitably a little out of date most of the time.
>
> If it works, then yes, easy_install / pypi is nice and easy to use. As
> long as Brad (or someone) is happy to support this, that's fine with
> me.

(But to be clear, I still don't think it should be the recommended
"official" way to install Biopython - just an option.)

> However, easy_install isn't perfect. If you browse the NumPy/SciPy
> mailing lists you'll see plenty of issues with easy_install - they have
> problems with CPU specific optimised builds and so on which are
> rather complicated to deal with. This is relevant because we would
> need easy_install to handle NumPy for us.

Also, easy_install doesn't work properly for ReportLab (one of our
optional dependencies used only for Bio.Graphics, which includes
GenomeDiagram). See for example:
http://two.pairlist.net/pipermail/reportlab-users/2009-May/008253.html