[Biopython-dev] Bio.SubstMat (was: Re: Calculating motif scores)

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Jul 28 17:04:52 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 9:57 PM, Iddo Friedberg<idoerg at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm the author of subsmat IIRC. Everything sounds good, but I would not make
> 2.6 changes that will break on 2.5. Ubuntu still uses 2.5 and I imagine
> other linux distros do too.

Plus we are still supporting Biopython on Python 2.4, having only recently
dropped support for Python 2.3 ;)

The current Ubuntu with long term support (LTS) is 8.04 (hardy), and
that uses Python 2.5. However, the latest Ubuntu (jaunty) and the in
development one (karmic) are already using Python 2.6.

Biopython will often get used on clusters and servers (not just desktops),
and these tend to get upgraded less often. Our cluster is still running
Python 2.4 for example.