[Biopython-dev] Phylip interface questions

Marshall Hampton mhampton at d.umn.edu
Mon Jul 27 17:05:05 UTC 2009

I am wondering if there is already an interface to the Phylip programs in
biopython.  I am pretty sure there is not, but I wanted to ask before
doing a chunk of work on one.  I know that AlignIO can read and write the
phylip alignment files, but I think that is it.

Assuming such a thing doesn't already exist, I will write some functions
for calling various combinations of programs in phylip to make some common
tasks easier.  Mostly this will use the pexpect module.  What is the most
appropriate place to put such an interface within biopython?

Thanks,

Marshall Hampton
Integrated Biosciences Program
and the Department of Mathematics and Statistics
University of Minnesota Duluth