[Biopython-dev] Developmental policies

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Jan 12 18:19:03 UTC 2009

> We can not force people to run tests but hope that sufficient people who do
> cover many of the variations as possible. Do we need to create buildbots (eg
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/buildbot/)?

Some kind of "buildbots" would be nice - possibly with something
hosted on the OBF server to hold the reports (even just via the wiki
pages would work). I have access to one or two platforms at work which
might be able to act in this way, but the infrastructure isn't there
yet.

> I do not test or use BioSQL code because I do not use BioSQL and do not run
> a compatible database on my system. So it would be really great if BioSQL
> supported sqlite because the database requirements would be alleviated.

This was recently requested on the BioSQL mailing list - and it would be nice.

> The other related aspect is that certain applications like clustalw must be
> in the path otherwise the application will not be found and the test
> skipped. But I do not know how to solve this except perhaps using
> environmental variables.

Part of setting up a "buildbot" or test server would include
installing all the optional command line tools (like ClustalW) so that
the full test suite can be run.