[Biopython-dev] biopython on github

Eric Talevich eric.talevich at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 16:43:04 UTC 2009

Hi folks,

> The function to convert a cvs repository to git works well: I have
> > just updated the branch on github to the latest cvs commit in
> > open-bio, and it has correctly imported all the new commits without
> > mixing them with the old ones.
>
> That sounds nice.

In support of Launchpad once again: Browsing the github docs, I don't see a
way for this to be made automatic and continual through the site. (Of
course, it's clearly against their financial interest to promote cvs/svn.)
Launchpad appears to support it happily:
https://help.launchpad.net/VcsImports

I see biopython-test hasn't been set up this way yet. Should I try setting
up a continuous mirror like this (under a name like biopython-cvs-test)? Or,
would Bartek or Giovanni prefer to?

> Now, if you look at http://github.com/biopython/biopython/network ,
> > you can see the results from all these experiments: the black line
> > represent the code imported from cvs, and the other ones are
> > experiments (well, don't care about the red one).
>
> Does this work without Adobe flash?  I don't have this on my Linux
> machine at home, and while I do have gnash it doesn't work on that
> many sites.

It doesn't seem to work with gnash 0.8.4/amd64, but I think you could use
gitk to get mostly the same information minus the snazzy site integration.

Cheers,
Eric