[Biopython-dev] SVN migration and Launchpad mirroring

Bartek Wilczynski bartek at rezolwenta.eu.org
Mon Feb 9 16:08:17 UTC 2009

Hi,

Probably the biggest one would be MySQL (https://launchpad.net/mysql-server).
You may also look  at http://bazaar-vcs.org/WhoUsesBzr

> Ignoring the arguments about it's openness, I have found it to be too slow
> and difficult to navigate to be useful. Sure the latter is experience since
> I use command line to update numpy and Biopython.

I don't exactly know what you have done, so it's hard to say what is
at fault here.

There are two separate pieces of software at work here:
-bzr, the proper dvcs, which is a command-line tool
-launchpad, the website where you can host your code branches and projects

I find bzr at  faster than cvs (although it is considerably slower
than git), and I don;t find launchpad slow, but as usually with
websites, YMMV.

> I find the idea of PPA was complete waste of effort and time! Why? Simply
> because we are not the distribution maintainers for numpy and Biopython. It
> would be far better to work with the package maintainers to ensure these are
> up to date as well as any bugs that may get reported or fixed by them. While
> I do not use it, I am not sure how relevant that is to just using
> EasyInstall to provide the latest snapshots which try to avoid any distro or
> platform requirements.

I don't think that PPA is an important thing for biopython. It might
be a nice addition
for those who use ubuntu (I do) and there is not much effort required,
once there is a current bzr branch of biopython available in
launchpad. However it
doesn't need to be an official one, so It's not a major issue now.

--
Bartek Wilczynski