[Biopython-dev] SVN migration and Launchpad mirroring

Bartek Wilczynski bartek at rezolwenta.eu.org
Sun Feb 8 19:03:31 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 5:47 PM, Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio
<dalloliogm at gmail.com> wrote:

> I like github and I think its web interface is one of the best to work
> with git: it has some tools that I didn't see in the other hosting
> services supporting git (trac, gitorious), especially those for
> creating forks.
>
> The problem is that the basic account on github is limited to 100 MB,
> and with the peculiar approach adopted by git (distributed source
> control) anyone wishing to participate code to biopython should have
> to create an account on github and in theory create a copy of the
> repository in his space.
>
> Moreover, I think it would be more difficult to use git without the
> tools offered by github, even if we configure a git repository with
> trac or similar on the openbio's servers. I don't know if the git-trac
> plugins has a feature to show all the forks like the one in github.
> Maybe I am just wrong.. but you should ask to the bioruby people how
> they are comfortable with these issues, since they are more expert.

Have you tried to use bazaar+launchpad? It's really easy and should do
all the tricks you need from a distributed vcs. It  also has features for
bugtracking (like trac on github) but i dont' know if we are unhappy with
current setup (bugzilla). I think bzr+launchpad has a number of advantages
over git+github:
-> can work with CVS as a master repository which means that the
transition would
not require going through SVN (although if it would help people from
OBF it is also possible).
-> Anyone used to cvs commands (commit, diff, update etc..) can use bzr without
trouble. You only need to know new "distributed" commands (push,branch)
-> it supports centralized decisions on merging: the possible scenario
is that only a
limited number of people can merge to the main repository (push in bzr
terminology)

cheers
Bartek