[Biopython-dev] run_tests.py rewrite

Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio dalloliogm at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 00:13:43 UTC 2009

On 2/3/09, Michiel de Hoon <mjldehoon at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Maybe it was a mistake to call this a rewrite ... basically all I'm doing is making some changes in run_tests.py so that it will distinguish between unittest-style tests and print-and-compare tests, and cleaning up some code while I'm at it. This will allow us to remove the trivial output files for the unittest-style tests, which were a real annoyance because they had to be updated whenever a new test was added to an existing test script. And since the output files did not contain any real information, people tended to forget that.

> Maybe nose can do the same as unittest, but unittest comes with Python and nose does not, so as long as unittest does the job, I see no reason to change to nose.

uff no!! :)
nose is not a library, neither it is a substitute for unittest.
it is a tool that you run from the command line and does exactly what
you are doing with your run_tests.py: it finds and discover any
function resembling a test (including unittests) and execute them.
Only, it does it very well, since it is developed by many people and
it is more than one year old.
-> http://code.google.com/p/python-nose/wiki/NosetestsUsage