[Biopython-dev] run_tests.py rewrite

Bruce Southey bsouthey at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 15:15:37 UTC 2009

Hi,
I do get your point and I do agree with it.

In part I see this as a necessary step to clean up the current tests
that would permit a smoother change to a different testing framework if
or when necessary. It is a different question whether or not to do such
a change. Technically nose is required by Numpy 1.2+ (but only for
testing) so it is not really an extra dependency on Biopython (unless
Biopython is split into two components - with and without Numpy). But I
do not see an real advantage for a new testing framework in the current
code base without a major effect to change everything at once (I would
at least act as a tester for any new framework). Perhaps it would make
better sense to do that when porting Biopython to Python 3 because the
tests will need to be examined and perhaps rewritten.

Bruce