[Biopython-dev] code credits

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Dec 17 22:54:40 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Marshall Hampton's description of how they do it on Sage
sounds worth trying - if we keep track as things are checked
in, it won't be too much work either. Do you (sage) have a
list of guidelines for what qualifies for a credit?

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 9:48 PM, Paul B <tallpaulinjax at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I also agree completely. Adding value to the code deserves
> some form of credit, if desired by the contributor. I fixed a bit
> of code in a couple of the modules and received no credit...
> that made me a good bit less gung ho about contributing more.

Sorry :(  You didn't get no credit at all though, you were
named in the commit:
http://github.com/biopython/biopython/commit/225fb0eb92c99018c3710c3ec5ac0b22e9706208

Also people who offer changes via github that can be
merged cleanly onto the trunk, or cherry-picked would
also automatically get a credit in the repository history.

Would someone like to go through the git log for Biopython
1.53 for a full list? e.g. Hongbo Zhu and Frederik Gwinner
contributed to a PDB enhancement (Bug 2495), and as he
pointed out, so did Paul B (again, PDB stuff). These were
the "border line" cases I had in mind here:
http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/biopython-dev/2009-December/007161.html

>From personal experience contributing to other open
source project, getting a credit in release notes even for
a small bug fix/enhancement as in sage is rare. So while
I thought I was following OS norms in writing the last
release notes, we can certainly do this differently in
future.

Regards,