[Biopython-dev] how to determine BioPython version number

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Aug 23 19:58:07 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 6:47 PM, Mike Williams <dmikewilliams at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there.  About a year ago a message was posted that suggested using
> Martel.__version__ to determine that BioPython versio number.

You are looking at at old thread, and missed what happened since, try:

import Bio
Bio.__version__

I think this deserves a FAQ entry in the next release of the tutorial...

The Martel version "trick" was a work around for determining the
version which worked for a few moderately old versions of Biopython
(prior to us adding Bio.__version__).