[Biopython-dev] MUMmer

Marcin Swiatek marcin.swiatek at mail.mcgill.ca
Thu Apr 30 15:23:35 UTC 2009

Hello,

I guess I should start with a nice 'hi' to everybody, now that I am
sending my first message to this group. So: Hi, Everybody!

Now, that we have the formality out of the way, I will get to the point.
Recently, I have written some Python code for parsing and processing the
output of MUMmer tool (http://mummer.sourceforge.net/). More
specifically, the code I have manages invocations and handles outputs of
the nucmer pipeline (alignment of multiple closely related nucleotide
sequences) and of mummer itself (short exact matches). Obviously, the
results are ultimately rendered as pairs of biopython's Seq objects.

I use this stuff only myself, in work on bacterial genomes, but I would
be more than willing to contribute it to the project. It may be rough
around the edges at the moment, but I think I could easily give it the
necessary polish if there is interest in having it included.

Should that be the case, could one of the project leads point me in the
right direction, please? How should I go about the submission?

Regards,

Marcin Swiatek