[Biopython-dev] How are people doing their git merges from the trunk?

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Apr 23 16:34:27 UTC 2009

Hi all,

We have the CVS trunk mirrored here:
http://github.com/biopython/biopython/tree/master

I have a copy of this in my github account here,
http://github.com/peterjc/biopython/tree/master

I decided that I would (initially at least) treat my master branch as
a copy of the master branch, and not commit local changes to this
branch.  Instead I periodically grab the latest commits from the
master using the commands:

#Do this once only:
#git remote add official_dist git://github.com/biopython/biopython.git
echo Checking out my local master branch...
git checkout master
echo Updating my local master branch with the official dist...
git pull official_dist master
echo Status:
git status
echo Pushing to my github master branch...
git push origin master

This means the github network diagram only advances by one step, even
if the operation combined 10s of individual commits (which are still
shown individually on my history on github).

Alternatively, I could have used github's cherry pick interface (the
fork queue), or used git cherry pick at the command line.  I can see
this is useful if you only want to pick out a few patches.  Is there
any reason to use this when you want all the commits from another
branch?  Bartek's latest activity on the github network is a series of
points - I think this means he did a "cherry pick", and selected most
(maybe even all) of the changes from the main trunk.  Am I
interpreting this right?

Thanks