[Biopython-dev] Bio.Application interface

Cymon Cox cy at cymon.org
Wed Apr 22 17:00:38 UTC 2009

2009/4/22 Peter <biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk>

> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Cymon Cox <cy at cymon.org> wrote:

> and
> >>
> >> Those kind of options which don't take a value are really common on
> >> Unix,  I suspect we already have things like this in the other wrappers.
> >> I'd guess they just use the _Option class and omit the value.
> >
> > Yes, I see now... they need to be _Options with a "lambda x: 0" value
> > checker function - for some reason was trying to force them into
> _Argument
> >
> > This is the current _Option class:
> > So _Option covers: "- -param=value", "-param value", "-param", "- -param"
> >
> > What it doesnt cover is "- -param value" and "-param=value"
>
> This might be a silly question, but do you actually these exact option
> layouts for MUSCLE and MAFFT?  Many Unix tools use something like
> libopt and will actually take slight variations, and may also offer short
> and long names for the same option.  Perhaps the existing option code
> in Bio.Application will suffice?

MAFFT uses "--param value" style options, and won't accept "--param=value"
or "-param value" as alternatives. Neither use "-param=value", but if more
applications it may turn up.

C.

> Peter

Cymon J. Cox

Centro de Ciencias do Mar
Faculdade de Ciencias do Mar e Ambiente (FCMA)
Universidade do Algarve
Campus de Gambelas
8005-139 Faro
Portugal