[Biopython-dev] Python 2.3 support

Sebastian Bassi sbassi at clubdelarazon.org
Tue Apr 21 14:34:20 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 10:25 AM, Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio
<dalloliogm at gmail.com> wrote:
> However, please, drop support for these older version or people won't never
> upgrade :)

That is true, but is also true that you can use a new version without
upgrading. The reason for not upgrading is in most cases avoiding to
break working scripts. I my (old) OS, the WIFI card uses Python 2.3 to
work. But Python allows to install "alternative" versions without
conflicting with your default system version. This way I have Python
2.4, 2.5, 2.6 and 3 all installed in the same machine. Using
alt-install or just compiling a Python version without doing a system
install. I even have more than one 2.5 version and each with a
different Biopython installation (using virtual_env) for testing
purposes. So I don't think there is a valid reason to keep supporting
such an old version.