[Biopython-dev] docstrings, doctests and epydoc API pages

Brad Chapman chapmanb at 50mail.com
Fri Apr 17 13:30:20 UTC 2009

Peter;

> As a test, I was able to update Bio/Seq.py to look good as epytext
> (while still being equally readable as plain text for when reading the
> API documentation at the python prompt with the help function). I
> uploaded one new page to the website:
>
> http://biopython.org/DIST/docs/api/Bio.Seq.Seq-class.html

I had some time where I was obsessed with making Biopython look
good in one of these API documentation modules (maybe HappyDoc,
back in the day). Eventually I came to the sad conclusion that not too
many people really seem to actually look at auto generated API docs.
Most will fire up the code in their favorite editor if they are
interested in the fine details.

So, I like the way this looks, but my vote is it is probably not
worth the cycles unless you are having fun with it. Also, be ready
get mad when the preferred method of markup changes from epytext to
structuredtext or someothertext.

Brad