[Biopython-dev] Tutorial & Cookbook

David Winter winda002 at student.otago.ac.nz
Thu Apr 16 03:30:43 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Sorry about the delay in replying to this, the  easter holidays are the
last chance to play in the sun in the southern hemisphere.

Peter wrote:
> David wrote:
>
>>> For me as a n00b the most useful resource by far has been the cookbook -
>>>

> When you said "cookbook", did you mean the Biopython Tutorial & Cookbook?
> http://biopython.org/DIST/docs/tutorial/Tutorial.html
> http://biopython.org/DIST/docs/tutorial/Tutorial.pdf
>
> There are a couple of other documents under the "Cookbook" folder here:
> http://biopython.org/DIST/docs/cookbook/Restriction.html
> http://biopython.org/DIST/docs/cookbook/biopdb_faq.pdf

I really meant the Tutorial and Cookbook and specifically the examples
in it. The first thing I tried to do with BioPython was parse BLAST
outputs and actually seeing a loop that would work and I that I could
tweak to get what I wanted from by BLAST results was really cool.

 From my perspective it makes sense to have a tutorial that walks
through the main features with some relatively simple examples (like the
existing one) with a separate cookbook highlighting what you can
actually do when you bring everything together. I think this would
fulfill the goals I was talking about in my original post (having nicely
documented examples of BioPython in action out there for anyone who's
looking) and adding a cookbook catergory to the wiki achieves this with
the smallest impediment to participation .  If anyone's counting I think
that's +3 for wiki and -3 for a new html/pdf document.
David