[Biopython-dev] Bio.GFF and Brad's code

Brad Chapman chapmanb at 50mail.com
Mon Apr 6 22:08:26 UTC 2009

Peter;
Thanks for the plug. GFF parsing is moving along; the main feature
two things I would like to finish before proposing it for inclusion
are writing of GFF files and putting GFF into BioSQL with the nested
features. The code does work for parsing, and I've been using it for
some real projects; anyone who would like to test it is more than
welcome.

As far as the current Bio.GFF, that is a bit of a conundrum. The
current code does work and for some cases it would be nice of having
the utility of working with GFF from a database. Eventually BioSQL
from GFF may supplant that, but that should be finished and tested
first. I would argue for keeping it in.

However, it is a bit confusing if someone is looking for a parser. It
would make more sense if it lived under a namespace like Bio.GFF.DB.
What do you think about adding a warning that it is going to move to
a new namespace and then moving it there, if we don't hear any
complaints, for 1.51? This is less cumbersome than a removal for
users since it's just an import change.

Brad