[Biopython-dev] Sequences and simple plots

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Sep 26 21:29:27 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 7:39 PM, Jared Flatow <jflatow at northwestern.edu> wrote:
> On Sep 26, 2008, at 11:28 AM, Peter wrote:
>
>> Did you try the dot-plot example?
>
> I didn't, but it looked good.

Hopefully I've pitched it right - I've tried to make it as simple as
possible, but the nested list comprehension is perhaps non-obvious.

>> Did you have any other ideas for things to plot?
>
> Nothing that would be too useful, but just for a demonstration of a scatter
> plot and putting the different ideas together, it might be nice to do
> something like:
>
> plot([len(rec) for rec in records], [GC(rec.seq) for rec in records], 'o')

I had wondered about this but I couldn't see an obvious motivation -
plus on the parsing side there is nothing new.  How about plotting
melting temperature against sequence length (or against the GC%)? This
would be more interesting as we'd then also get to show the
calculation of another sequence property (using the
Bio.SeqUtils.MeltingTemp module).