[Biopython-dev] Cleaning up Bio.SeqUtils

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Sep 26 11:02:00 UTC 2008

>> Are you happy with my recent tweak to the seq3 function (CVS revision
>> 1.15)?  I wasn't 100% sure why it had used "Xer"

It just occurred to me this could be short for "X error"?

> Concerning the seq3 function, I am not sure where it came from, I don't
> think I have added it.

Looking over the CVS logs, I think it might have been you (CVS user
"thomas") - but it was six years ago.

See Bio/SeqUtils/__init__.py revision 1.2
http://cvs.biopython.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi/biopython/Bio/SeqUtils/__init__.py?cvsroot=biopython

The comments say Bio.SeqUtils.seq3 was inspired by BioPerl.  I've only
skimmed the BioPerl SVN history, but they do seem to use "Xaa" and not
"Xer",
http://code.open-bio.org/svnweb/index.cgi/bioperl/view/bioperl-live/trunk/Bio/SeqUtils.pm