[Biopython-dev] determining the version

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Sep 24 21:12:24 UTC 2008

>> I was wondering what versions of numpy and Numeric have been tested
>> with Biopython CVS?  For anyone who didn't know, you can check at the
>> python prompt with:
>>
>> import numpy
>> print numpy.version.version
>>

> Actually just do
> numpy.__version__

That is nicer :)

> Somewhat related to this, what is the appropriate way to find the version of
> BioPython installed within Python?

So I'm not the only person to have wondered about this.  For now, I
can only suggest an ugly workarround:

import Martel
print Martel.__version__

Since Biopython 1.45, by convention the Martel version has been
incremented to match that of Biopython.  Of course, in a few releases
time we probably won't be including Martel any more.

Perhaps we should add a __version__ to Bio/__init__.py for future
releases, with the release "script" modified to ensure this gets
incremented to match that used in setup.py (and Martel).