[Biopython-dev] Modules to be removed from Biopython

Michiel de Hoon mjldehoon at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 23 00:55:01 UTC 2008

The code in setup.py that causes the DeprecationWarning to appear can be fixed relatively easily. Basically, this code was relevant when Martel was also being distributed as a separate module. Nowadays, Biopython contains the latest version of Martel, so there's no reason to check it. The other function of the code in setup.py was to check if importing Martel raises any import errors, in particular for mxTextTools. That we can check by trying to import the dependencies directly, i.e. without going through Martel.
After fixing the code in setup.py, we can add a DeprecationWarning to Bio.Martel.

--Michiel.