[Biopython-dev] Numeric/numpy - Bio/Affy/CelFile.py

Michiel de Hoon mjldehoon at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 19 15:03:47 UTC 2008

> try:
>     from Numeric import x, y, z
> except ImportError:
>     from numpy.oldnumeric import x, y, z

This is the easy part. Keep in mind though that the "from numpy.oldnumeric import x, y, z" approach is only a temporary solution; at some point, the oldnumeric wrapper will disappear from numpy.

> where I assumed the C code would have been decided at
> compile time.

This is the complicated part; it's not just replacing one #include with another. We'd have to use a bunch of #ifdefs to separate the old code from the new code.

Anyway I was planning to go through the Numerical Python - dependent code to see if any other changes are needed. If anybody wants to be able to use the old Numerical Python, please let yourself be heard; otherwise I suggest we go directly to NumPy.

--Michiel