[Biopython-dev] CVS freeze for Biopython 1.48

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Sep 8 11:20:57 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 11:43 AM, Peter <biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm going to try and put together Biopython 1.48 this afternoon, so
> could you all not commit any changes until further notice please.

This took longer than planned.  I have now tagged CVS and uploaded the
tar-ball and zip file for Biopython 1.48 to http://biopython.org/DIST/
as usual.  Before we make the public announcement (email, news server,
and wiki pages), having one or two people try downloading these,
installing from source and running the unit tests would be great.

Little things (like documentation improvements!) can go into CVS now,
but could you all refrain from any major changes (like Numeric/numpy,
additional deprecations or removals) until the release has been public
for a few days without issue?  Just in case we have to tweak things,
this would make dealing with CVS easier.  Thanks.

> I'll be doing the source code releases (and possibly a Windows
> installer for Python 2.3 tonight if my old laptop still has all the MS
> compilers working), but there will then be a slight delay while we get
> the (other) Windows installers done.

I may be able to do the Python 2.3 Windows installer tonight - we'll see.

For future reference, hevea 1.08 which my linux box had installed
doesn't work nicely on the tutorial (the title page information goes
missing), but hevea 1.10 is fine.
http://biopython.org/DIST/docs/tutorial/Tutorial.pdf
http://biopython.org/DIST/docs/tutorial/Tutorial.html

Also, we're currently using epydoc version 3.0.1 for the API documentation:
http://biopython.org/DIST/docs/api/

I did check in a few more module level docstrings so this does look a
bit more complete than in Biopython 1.47.  There is still room for
improvement, for example Bio.SeqUtils needs some love.  Also many of
the deprecated modules don't say they are deprecated in the module
level docstring which I think is good thing to do.  Any views on this?

Thanks,