[Biopython-dev] Python 2.6

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Oct 10 09:42:46 UTC 2008

> I'd forgotten about the Bio.Crystal exception problem (we didn't file
> a bug on this):

Fixed in CVS.

> Otherwise all core the tests pass on my Linux python 2.6 machine
> (skipping those needing reportlab, MySQLdb or other optional modules).

All core tests, plus the graphics ones using reportlab, and the BioSQL
ones using MySQLdb, now pass on my Linux python 2.6 machine.  The only
things I have not covered are: test_GFF, test_PopGen_FDist,
test_PopGen_SimCoal, test_Wise, test_psw which require additional
command line tools etc.

Note that with reportlab 2.2 under python 2.6 there is a deprecation
warning from reportlab/pdfgen/canvas.py about md5, this has been fixed
to use hashlib in the reportlab SVN.

Note that with MySQLdb 1.2.2 under python 2.6 there is deprecation
warning from MySQLdb/__init__.py about the sets module, which does not
seem to have been fixed on the 1.2 branch or the trunk in their SVN.
I have reported this issue as a bug on the MySQLdb sourceforge page.

So, as far as I can see, we are OK with python 2.6 on Linux.  We
should probably try and get this tested on Windows and on the Mac too
for completeness.