[Biopython-dev] Time to deprecate Bio.Transcribe?

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Oct 8 17:12:07 UTC 2008

In Biopython 1.48 the module Bio.Transcribe was described as obsolete,
both in the docstring and the tutorial which also warned it was likely
to be deprecated:

> 3.9  Transcription and Translation Continued
>
> In the previous sections we talked about the transcription and
> translation functions in the Bio.Seq module, which are intended
> to be very simple and easy to use.
>
> There is also an older Bio.Translate module which has a few
> more advanced options, but is more complicated to use.
> Additionally there is also an older Bio.Transcribe module, but
> as this is now obsolete and likely to be deprecated, we will not
> discuss it here.

So, I'd like to now deprecate Bio.Transcribe for the next release.
Any objections/comments?

Peter

P.S. I'm also hoping that for the next release we can finish Bug 2381
as well, and then mark Bio.Translate as obsolete.