[Biopython-dev] Refactoring motif analysis code

Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio dalloliogm at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 15:25:23 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Bartek Wilczynski
<bartek at rezolwenta.eu.org> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Currently, there are two packages dealing with motif analysis in biopython :
> Bio.AlignAce (written by me) and Bio.MEME (written by Jason Hackney).

Hi, I asked a question about motifs one year ago on this list.
Here it is the thread:
- http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/biopython/2007-September/003727.html

I would just like to tell you that I have tried the TAMO framework you
suggested me, and found it very useful.
I am not using it anymore because I don't need it, but I remember that I liked:
- the methods to represent motifs as matrixes of frequencies/occurrencies etc..
- the fact that it was easy to create a motif from an alignment of sequences
- the integration it had with this website:
http://weblogo.berkeley.edu/logo.cgi.
I would suggest you to provide integration with this other web
service, which enable to plot the difference between two sequence
logos: http://www.twosamplelogo.org/examples.html.

Maybe you should contact TAMO's author to ask him if he wants to
contribute, because I remember that its framework was really complete.