[Biopython-dev] Use of depreciated string functions

Bruce Southey bsouthey at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 15:19:22 UTC 2008

Hi,
There are a number of files in Bio that import string. Many of these use
depreciated functions (since Version 2) that are now string methods
mainly  string.atof(), string.atoi()  and string.join(). The only real
advantage of modifying these is to remove an import statement because
these will not be removed until Python 3.

Perhaps the one exception is in HotRand.py: hex_digit =
string.hexdigits.find( letter )

There are about 23 unique files that I identified via grep and many have
more than one usage. While changing these is busy work, please let me
know if you would like me to create patches for the next version of
Biopython (ie 1.50) or just ignore this.

Thanks
Bruce