[Biopython-dev] Bio.EZRetrieve appears to be obsolete or redunant

Bruce Southey bsouthey at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 16:26:40 UTC 2008

Hi,
The Bio.EZRetrieve module retrieves a single nucleotide sequence from
EZRetrieve website:
http://siriusb.umdnj.edu:18080/EZRetrieve/single_r.jsp
It requires a human, rat or mouse nucleic GenBank, UniGene, LocusLink,
or IMAGE ID. No other genomes are supported.

Although it appears faster than a Bio.GenBank query, I do not see that
this module provides any special functionality than that already
provided by Bio.GenBank and similar. So I think this module is obsolete
and redundant.

Notes:
1) Obviously LocusLink has been superseded by Entrez Gene.
2) The documented genome builds are 2003 (eg human BUILD.34 at 11/04/2003)
but not known if these have been updated since.
3) The start of the sequence is zero. You can use from_='start' instead
but the can not mix it with numerical ending.
4) The actual website provides additional information including NCBI
links (LocusLink and Nucleic) and does base counting.
5) There are other functions provided by the website like multiple
retrievals.

The website example is for 'homeobox B6 [/Homo sapiens/]':

import Bio.EZRetrieve
seq=Bio.EZRetrieve.retrieve_single('BC014651', 1, 20)
print seq

Gives:
 >BC014651:HOXB6
ACCACACCTAGGTCGGAGCA