[Biopython-dev] coverage of function testing

Marshall Hampton mhampton at d.umn.edu
Fri Nov 14 19:48:42 UTC 2008

Hi,

I noticed some discussion of the coverage and automation of testing for
functions in biopython, and thought I would suggest folks check out the
testing and coverage tools in Sage (www.sagemath.org).  Testing of
functions in Sage is done by testing examples in their docstrings - there
are comments to opt out of testing or to indicate if they will take a long
time.  They also have scripts for checking which functions have at least
one such testable example.  So you can do something like this:

sage -coverage PATH_TO_SAGE/sage/geometry/polyhedra.py

and get

SCORE
/Volumes/D/sage-3.2.alpha0/devel/sage-main/sage/geometry/polyhedra.py:
100% (21 of 21)

to see if anything is untested.

Now that biopython is converting to numpy, I will start arguing for its
inclusion as a standard part of Sage (right now it is an optional
package).

Cheers,

Marshall Hampton
Integrated Biosciences Program and