[Biopython-dev] New Biopython release

Michiel de Hoon mjldehoon at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 6 15:24:47 UTC 2008

Hi everybody,

Let's make a new release (1.45). I'm thinking of Friday 21st, which gives us about two weeks. The current Biopython release (1.44) has a nasty bug that causes an error with one of the Bio.GenBank examples in the tutorial. This bug has since been fixed in CVS.

If you have any code that is ready to be submitted to CVS, now would be a good time to do so. If your code is not yet ready from prime time, please don't submit it to CVS until after the release to avoid any last-minute problems.

Biopython 1.44 had a large number of deprecations, but I feel it is too soon to remove them from the release completely. Bio.Blast.blast and Bio.Blast.blasturl have been deprecated for several releases now, so if there are no objections I think we should remove them. Bio.Kabat has been deprecated since release 1.43. Since it has few (if any) users, I think we should remove it too.

Also, please have a look at the Biopython bugs that are still open to see if there's anything we can do about them.

--Michiel.